and it was while i was stomping around the city tuesday night drenched in mud and ire i remembered how one night in november i left school, at 7:30, ran down the hill to the road just as the minibus was approaching the stop, and of course i assumed it was my minibus (HELLO, it arrived just when I did) so I got on it and tuned out. Then I got out when it stopped.... at not a place I recognized. I asked some of the other passengers for this one metro station, they pretty much said, no way, not that metro station, but here’s this other one. turns out i had been there too and totally knew my way home as soon as i saw it, but these two ladies from the bus, it seemed, had established with some dismay that i lived in russia and did not speak russian, that i was here by myself, and that I appeared not to know how to get home from work. clearly, i was a danger to myself. they were both several decades older than me, had a commanding air about them, and so as they talked over what route would be best for me to take and what they were going to do about me, i realized i would have to play along (which wasn't hard to do, since i certainly didn't know how to say in russian 'it's okay, i was mistaken at first but i know where i am now and i'll be fine'). They made a decision, told me the name of my station and the number of stops like six times, and hauled me onto a seat with them on the metro. at one point i leaned forward to double-check the stations on the map and one of them whacked me and said, in English: ‘Don’t Vourry. We will put you.’ And they did.
No comments:
Post a Comment