I went to a portfolio review in the end of October, and two editors, of the magazines Foto8 and Daylight, told me several interesting things, a few of which were that I need to see rejection as irrelevant, that multimedia matters a great deal, and that my portfolio wasn't well-organized, which makes sense, more or less, since my life isn't that well organized. One editor also asked, 'What project are you working on now?' to which I
had to reply, honestly, 'Well... nothing.' 'Why?' And it sounds
like an excuse! It feels like an excuse! It IS in fact, an excuse!
That my more-than-full-time job is not photography but something else
entirely, that I live in Moscow and I don't speak Russian and I feel
like real life (and photographic work with any real depth) in this city
is completely inaccessible to me. And this editor said, 'Well, why
don't you photograph that?' Huh.


No comments:
Post a Comment